
Once upon a time there was a little girl who desperately wanted to play the violin. So after some months of persuasion her parents finally agreed and allowed her to have violin lessons. Yes, I started playing the violin around 12 years ago. At the beginning I loved it, and with the years I lost the interest, mostly because I started rowing and didn't have time to do both well. I never brought my violin to Oregon, but I thought, since I stopped rowing, I could start again.
Shortly after arriving in Lulea, I had the idea of joining an orchestra to play with others. After some research and some friendly emails with the city information center, I was contacted by a guy with a really funny email telling me he had a little "Strak orkester" (String orchestra) and would love me to join. The next week Jules and I walked over almost 2miles to this little church where the orchestra was meeting. We were surprised with coffee/tea and cake. The Sweds call it "fika". It was a really small orchestra and the members were way older than me, but it was fun playing with them. After the rehearsal a woman told me about the town's orchestra that would be performing the opera "The magic flute" from Mozart in the middle of November. She told me that I was really good and that i should join them. So the next week we checked it out (Jules accompanied me, since I'm so shy). Long story short, they put me right in the 1st violin and I had to start practising on a daily basis. Most of the time, Jules would do the dishes and I would entertain him with (sometimes) nice or horrible violin play. After 6 weeks of practice the orchestra was (I wasn't) ready to perform in the big "Kulturens hus" (Culture house with a big auditorium) with the opera singers.
All I can say is that it was really fun and a real success!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment